"I wish i could show you when you are lonely or in darkness, the astonishing
light of your own being"
- Hafiz (as translated by daniel ladinsky
my work as a mindfulness teacher and mentor
I finished my mindfulness teacher training with Breathworks in 2014 and I am a fully accredited Breathworks mindfulness teacher. I am insured to teach mindfulness and meet the requirements of the Good Practice Guidance for teaching mindfulness-based courses published by the UK Network of Mindfulness-Based Teacher Trainers. I have regular supervision and attend several silent retreats a year to deepen my understanding of mindfulness practice.
Since completing my Breathworks training I have taught mindfulness for a wide variety of organisations from the mental health charity Mind to the international engineering consultancy Buro Happold.
I have recently started a two year Mindfulness teacher training course led by Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach. During this training I am working closely with a mentor and a small peer group. I really wanted to further my studies and deepen my understanding of mindfulness and compassion practices so that I could support my clients and groups in the best possible way. I feel so blessed and grateful to have been given this opportunity to learn with these two incredible teachers.
My journey towards mindfulness
Before teaching mindfulness I worked as a television editor. At that time, I found myself reflecting on life. When I was in my late teens I had suffered with anxiety and panic attacks, I then spent a lot of time looking after a close family member who struggled with life. I began to find myself thinking there must be another way that we can cope with life's ups and downs. When I was in my early twenties my Father died suddenly and my Aunt who was like a mother to me died 3 month before him. This loss and deep grief woke me up to the beauty and vulnerability of life and I made the decision to have a break from my career as a television editor and to re-train. I decided I wanted to help people to live more peaceful and happy lives no matter what their circumstances.
The first thing I did when I left my job was go to a meditation class, I loved having the space to be and to develop more of an awareness of my mind and body. I also started working as a volunteer on an inpatient unit at a hospice. Being with people near the end of their life was a deeply moving and life changing expereince for me.
I then began to train as a shiatsu practitioner (shiatsu is a form of therapeutic body-work). I was very lucky to have a wonderful teacher who was passionate about present moment awareness and this sparked something deep within me. Training in shiatsu has been deeply important in my mindfulness journey. I spent four years learning to listen, to connect, to be in the present moment with whatever arises and how to apply this to being with people who are suffering and in pain.
In 2010 I took an eight week mindfulness course with another inspiring teacher and this deepened my practice and awareness further. It wasn't easy but at the end I experienced a real shift in myself and I knew that this was something I would continue to cultivate and practice for the rest of my life and that I wanted to share it with others. I began to train as a mindfulness teacher seven months later. I have been meditating regularly for 11 years and I have had a daily mindfulness meditation practice for 10 years.
between the STIMULUS and the response there is a space and in that space
lies our power and our freedom
- viktor e. frankl
training, experience and qualifications
Qualifications and training courses attended:
- Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach's Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification programme from The Greater Good Science Centre,
UC Berkeley, 2019 - present (finishing 2021)
- The Power of Awareness 7 week course with Sounds True and The Greater Good Science Centre, mentored by Cynthia Wilcox - 2018
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Foundational 8 week
training for health professionals with Dr Russ Harris - 2018
- Transformational Dialogue with Keith Phillips - 2 day workshop 2017
- Certificate in Counselling Skills - Introduction - 2017
- Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living Teacher Training:
Foundation - 2016
- Breathworks Mindfulness Teacher Accreditation supervised by Gary Hennessey - 2014
- Breathworks Mindfulness Teacher Training Level TT1 , TT2 and TT3 - 2012- 2013
- Mental Health Awareness NFCE Level 2 - 2014
- Mental Health First Aid Certificate - 2013
- MRSS Postgraduate Shiatsu year - 2012
- Transforming Shiatsu Postgraduate year - 2012
- Diploma in Shiatsu - 2008-2011
- BA (hons) Broadcasting degree 2:1 - 2001-2004